Thompson Earns "Restoring the Balance" Award from National Conference of State Legislatures
WASHINGTON - U.S. Senator Fred Thompson (R-TN), Chairman of the Senate Committee on Governmental Affairs, has been selected to receive the 2000 "Restoring the Balance Award," presented by the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL). The award, given annually to national policymakers committed to federalism and its impact on issues involving state legislators, was presented to Thompson last night at the NCSL’s Leader to Leader Dinner in Washington.
"Fred Thompson has been a steadfast and dedicated friend of federalism," said NCSL President Jim Costa. "He has demonstrated an exemplary commitment to protecting state authority and to strengthening intergovernmental relations and program partnerships."
Thompson's dedication to the principles of federalism and sound government policy has resulted in the Committee’s advancement of the Federalism Accountability Act, and Senate passage of the Regulatory Right to Know Act, the Federal Financial Information Assistance Management Improvement Act, the Truth in Regulating Act, and revision of the Unfunded Mandates Reform Act.
"Many of us who came to Washington carried a strong conviction about the wisdom of our constitutional federalism," said Thompson. "This conviction gets tested frequently, but it's worth fighting for. The diffusion of power and creative competition that spring from our federalism are fundamental to our democracy.
"Our challenge is to work together in a thoughtful and proactive way to help define the federal-state relationship in the Information Age," added Thompson. "Both Congress and the Administration have an important role in restoring the balance, and I look forward to working with them and the states to do so."
Click a Topic to Read and Research and then scroll down
Click A Post In The Archive- star=full report. Click topic to bring up in new page
- Thompson Bill to grant Attorney General Discretion...
- Thompson Fights to Eradicate Tax Penalty on Public...
- More on Thompson Homeland Security Amendment and I...
- Thompson advocates increased flexibility for Homel...
- Senator Thompson; Federal Management Reform and th...
- Thompson Amendment for Airline Security
- Thompson's 2001 Assessment of Federal Agencies
- House Adopts Thompson Aviation Security Amendment
- Thompson Legislation to Protect Federal Informatio...
- Thompson Federal Regulatory Improvement Act of 199...
- Thompson on IRS Accountability to Public
- Levin-Thompson Regulatory Improvement Act
- 1998- Thompson Calls for Arms and Dual-Use Export ...
- Congress Passes Thompson Legislation Promoting Pub...
- Thompson-Warner Bill to Allow Homeland Security Ag...
- Thompson Provision On Public Regulation Passes
- Thompson Applauds Mineta Airport Security Plan
- National Security Workforce Legislation
- *Preface from Thompson's Report into Financial Cam...
- *Recommendations from Senator Thompson's Investiga...
- Thompson's Freedom to Manage Package to Reform Gov...
- Thompson Amendment ensured to protect privacy on g...
- Companion to Management Issues Report
- Statement on Antrax through the Mail
- "Restoring the Balance" Award
- Statement on the Export Administration Act
- Comments on IRS Mismanagement of Funds
- Oped on the Future of the Independent Counsel Act
- Leadership Challenges in the 21st Century: Panetta...
- ▼ Apr 22 (29)
- ▼ April (113)